One of the biggest letdown of Redmi Note is the below average volume that causes frustration even on maximum level. Be it normal ringing and notification, media playback, and even on loudspeaker.. Basically everything is below average.
Good thing its all tweakable via software side (and every Redmi Note should be able to do this no matter if you are on stock or custom ROM, rooted or not). As usual, I will show the process in the simplest way I can. However please bare in mind that I will not be responsible for any damages that happens to you or your device and proceed at own risk. Although I did this on both of my Redmi Note set without any damage or issues (it became a better phone actually!).
1. Open your dialler and dial *#*#3646633#*#* this will get you into Android engineer mode
2. Once in, swipe to the left until you see ‘Hardware Testing’ tab.
3. Tap on ‘Audio’.
4. From here you will need to enter ‘Normal Mode’ (the phone ring, notification, the primary speaker functions) then ‘Headset Mode’ (headphones) and ‘Loudspeaker Mode’ (handsfree call). As you will be doing the same stuffs on all 3 section, I will just show you how to (in detail) change one of it and you should be able to repeat the steps for the other two yourself. For now, tap on ‘Normal Mode’ and you will see the next image.
5. Change Max Vol to 160 then tap ‘set’. You will see the following confirmation.
6. Now tap ‘OK’ and tap on ‘sip’ (on the ‘type’ field) and you will get the following list.
7. Select ‘Sph’ and you will see the next image (notice that max vol field is greyed out).
8. A brief explanation, level ranges from 0 to 6. Its like a volume knob where 0 is lowest and 6 is the highest. From here I like to do things backwards. Remember we have initially set max vol to 160. So 160 will be the maximum volume that we should have / set for level 6. So let’s go to level 6 by tapping on ‘Level 0’ then tap ‘Level 6’ like below.
9. Set / change Level 6 value to 160 and tap on ‘set’ to save.
10. So from here you can lower down the value for level 5, then lower it some more for level 4, and lower it further for level 3 until level 0. Whatever you do, you want a higher value then default. Here’s my new value :
Level 0 – 72
Level 1 – 80
Level 2 – 100
Level 3 – 115
Level 4 – 125
Level 5 – 145
Level 6 – 160
Don’t forget to tap on ‘set’ on each level after you changed its value to save!
11. Easy? Repeat step 4 for ‘Headset Mode’ and ‘Loudspeaker Mode’. You can use the same value as above. No worries.
12. All done, enjoy!